Sunday, April 22, 2007

SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN AFFECTED BY HURRICANE KATRINA

SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN AFFECTED BY HURRICANE KATRINA

By Rachelle DeVore

In June I will be joining the New Orleans chapter of Habitat for Humanity and a partner family in constructing a new home in New Orleans. After visiting New Orleans for the first time this past January, I was astounded by the extent of Katrina’s devastation and the still impoverished living conditions of many of its residents. Each individual I encountered on my visit had a different experience to relate although it was clear that all stories had a similar theme. Help was woefully insufficient and thousands of families, while still waiting for assistance, remain homeless.

I tutor eight elementary age children in the Los Angeles Unified school district through government sponsored, "No Child Left Behind", program. The reality is that the majority of these children are from low socio-economic communities that struggle to provide the motivation, support and educational materials that these children need in order to do well in school. I couldn't help but wonder what would become of these children if the little they have was taken from them in and instant. I could not imagine my students without a school to attend or a home to go to at the end of the day.

With the children in mind, I set another goal for my trip. In addition to helping in the construction of a home for a family in need, I want to purchase school supplies and other educational materials for local children that are still living in shelters. My hope is to raise enough money to purchase basics such as pens/pencils and paper as well as books and educational materials/games. I know that the scope of this project is limited however if I am able to help even one child in need, it will be worthwhile.

My goal is to raise a minimum of one-thousand dollars by June 1st. Any amount that you, or someone you know can contribute, will be useful and greatly appreciated. I will be taking lots of pictures and keeping a journal so that I am able to share my experiences with you. Please do whatever you can to help. I know that the families and especially the children will be thankful for your support.

Please feel free to contact me at any time:

Email: rnd200@aol.com

Mailing address:

Rachelle DeVore
14 Caleb Brewster Rd
East Setauket, NY 11733

No comments:

Post a Comment